Journalist Bill Milkowksi writes in his liner notes to the
profile compilation of guitarist Wes Montgomery, "There are few joys in jazz as immediate and rewarding as hearing [him] swinging in full stride in a small group setting. A remarkably intuitive, self-taught player who didn't purchase his own first guitar until he was 20 years old, Montgomery exuded an uncanny sense of naturalness and soulfulness in every aspect of his playing that every jazz musician should aspire to. He was a true genius, a guitar hero for the ages." This 11-song collection features
at his creative peak in recordings that stretch from 1959 to 1963, including his composition "Four on Six" and his rousing cover of Carl Perkins' "Groove Yard."
Each CD also contains a FREE full-length bonus disc featuring other great Riverside artists.
[Included in ALL listed titles]
1. Bobby Timmons - Dat Dere (5:22)
2. Wes Montgomery - Airegin (4:25)
3. Chet Baker - Soft Winds (6:26)
4. Bill Evans Trio - My Foolish Heart (4:56)
5. Charlie Byrd - Desafinado (2:29)
6. Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Thermo (6:46)
7. Thelonious Monk - Bemsha Swing (7:42)
8. The Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Bohemia After Dark (7:34)